Skip to main content

St. Paul Catholic Church

Plainfield, WI

Home
About Us
Parish Office Hours
Parish Leadership / Staff
Our Patron Saint
Calendars
Bulletins
Religious Education
Ministry Opportunities
Sacraments
RCIA
Catholics Come Home
Our Church Seasons
Photo Tours
Catholicism 101 & Prayers
Cemetery
PCCW
Knights of Columbus
Links
Site Map
Contact Us

Our St. Paul Mission Statement

 

As we pass on our St. Paul Parish Catholic heritage from one

generation to the next, we are called by Jesus to be a Spirit-filled

community of God's people through worship, teaching, and service.

 

Our mission is as follows:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To care for each other as Jesus has taught us and

to extend that care to others beyond our community

 

 

 

.

 

 

  

Parish History
Roster of St. Paul's Pastors
1898-1899 Rev. Peter Korzejka

1899-1900 Rev. John Pociecha

1900-1903 Rev. Stanislaus Elbert

1903-1911 Rev. Michael Kloslowski

1911-1920 Rev. Peter Borowski

1920-1922 Rev. Stanislaus Stanisz
1922-1925 Rev. Sylvester Hosinski
1925-1949 Rev. Peter Banka
1949          Rev. George Weix
1949-1953 Rev. Leonard Woelfel
1953-1957 Rev. Henry Arens
1957-1966 Rev. John Schmitt
1966-1967 Rev. James De Witt
1967-1970 Rev. Joseph Boehm
1970-1974 Msgr. Aloysius Trzebiatowski
1974-1979 Rev. Michael Bablitch
1979-1987 Rev. Linus Steckbauer
1987-1999 Rev. Michael Betley
1999-2000 Rev. Gregory Coulthard
2000-2001 Rev. Faustin Misakabo
2001-2002 Rev. Paul Vanden Hogen (temporary administrator)
2002-2012 Deacon Robert Precourt
2012-2016 Deacon James Trzinski
2016-2017 Rev. David Greskowiak (Administrator)
2017-         Rev. Andrew Kurz (Administrator)
 
     On November 17, 1898, St. Paul Catholic Church was dedicated by
Rt. Rev. S.G. Messmer, D.D., Bishop of Green Bay. The cost of the entire building, with furniture, heating apparatus, lots, etc., amounts, generally estimating to $2,500.00. The Catholic settlers in Plainfield and vicinity (radius of 15 to 20 miles) numbered about 40 families at the time of the dedication.  The new St. Paul congregation consisted of Irish, German, and Polish members. The rectory was completed in 1911 to a cost of $2,249.69.
     St. Paul's came into a new era with the Great Depression and World War II being over; taking place with a conversion from the "dust bowl" to the Golden Sands and from very plain and abandoned fields and farms to the vast "Valley of the Jolly Green Giant."  Potatoes, beans, corn, trucking, irrigation, mechanized farming, highways, cottages, prosperity and a consequent movement of people caused St. Paul's to change with the changing times.
     During the 1960's improvements were made: new front steps of the church, adding the sanctuary and sacristy to the length of the original church, joining the "south half" of the hall to the church and sanctuary to serve the double purpose of enlarging the hall itself and increasing the seating capacity. The financing and maintenance of the cemetery was updated. The grotto being added was designed and built. In 1969 and 1970, the interior of the church  again was renovated; new pews, insulation, altar, pulpit, baptismal font, tabernacle, main crucifix, etc., were installed at a cost of about $25,000.00. Sewer and water connections were made.
     With the guidance and supervision of Fr. Michael Betley, St. Paul's once again expanded it's horizons with the dedication of our new church in 1994.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historical Review of Plainfield:

CATHOLIC CHURCH WAS DEDICATED IN NOVEMBER 1898

                   

(Excerpt from Green Bay Diocesan historical source)

 

On the 17th of November, 1898, the St. Paul’s Catholic church in this village was dedicated by Rt. Rev. S. G. Messmer, D. D., Bishop of Green Bay.  At 10 a. m. the Plainfield Cornet Band welcomed the Bishop at the Plainfield House.  At 10:30 a. m. the ceremony of blessing the new church began.  Here at the church the band played music adapted for the solemn occasion.  The church blessed his Lordship who was attired in his pontifical robes as he addressed in English the assembled gathering.  In the beginning of his address the Bishop congratulated the congregation upon having erected so beautiful a church.  Then he most cordially thanked the gentlemen of the band for rendering music for the occasion, saying that this act of theirs bespoke the brotherly spirit of the people of this village.  He also conveyed words of thanks and praise to our Protestant brothers for their kind and generous contributions toward the church.  After this he spoke upon the important thing that the dedication of a new church conveys to our menu.

After the Bishop’s address followed the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, celebrated by Rev. Tr. Jachimiak of Mill Creek, Wis.  At the end of the Holy Mass, Rev. Maximillian Dorszynski, Milwaukee, preached the Polish sermon.  Then followed the administration of the Holy Sacrament of Confirmation to twenty-nine persons.  Confirmation being over, the Bishop gave his pontifical blessing.  This ended the solemnity of the day.

Besides the Catholics belonging to the newly organized parish, there were people present from the neighboring Catholic congregations.  Of the Rev. Clergy, the following were present: Tev. L. Spitzberger, Kinston, Wis.; Rev. F. Jachinmiak, Mill Creek, Wis.; Rev. E. P. Lorigan, Lanark, Wis.; Rev. Thomas Grenbowski, Plonia, Wis.; Rev. Maximillian Dorszynski, Milwaukee, Wis.; Rev. L. Z. Jankowski, Flintville, Wis.

The pews and the altar in the church were furnished by Mr. F. Kamrowski of Stevens Point, at a very reasonable price.  The building of the church was done by Mr. Grubba of the town of Stevens Point.  The plans were drawn by B. Koljacks, architect, of Milwaukee, Wis.  The cost of the entire building, with furniture, heating apparatus, lots, etc., amounts, generally estimating to $2,500.00.  In spite of the large donations on the part of the Catholic members, as well as those of the generous business men of this village and others, there still remains a debt of several hundred dollars on the church.  The new St. Paul’s congregation is a mixed one, consisting of Irish, Germans, and Polish members.

The Catholic settlers in Plainfield and vicinity (radius of 15 to 20 miles) numbered about 40 families at the time of the dedication of the local St., Paul’s Catholic church.  Previous to this date, their religious needs were taken care of by an occasional visit of some Catholic priest.  To have these services and benefits regularly as needed, it was necessary for them to travel for long distances over almost non-existent roads to Wisconsin Rapids, Stevens Point, Buena Vista, or Berlin, Wis.

In the Spring of 1897, a petition was made, through Father Kruszka of Ripon, Wis., to the Most Rev. S. G. Messmer, Bishop of Green Bay, for a priest of their own.  Bishop Messmer thereupon appointed on Nov. 1897, the Rev. Peter Kurzejka of Pilot Knob, Adams county, to take charge of the Catholics of this area.

A preliminary meeting was held in January, 1898, and on February 7th of the same year the new St. Paul’s parish was formally organized.  It was also voted at this meeting to undertake the building of a new church.  Nicholas Fondel and Martin Pionke were elected secretary and treasurer respectively, and Julius Prokopowicz and John Santowski as advisory board to assist Father Kurzejka to carry out this project.

Succeeding Father Kuzjka as pastor the following year were the Rev. Fathers John Pociecha, in May, 1899; S.A. Elbert in Feb., 1900; Rt. Rev. Msgr. M. Klosowski, in June, 1903; Peter Borowski, in 1911; S. Stanisz, in 1920; Sylvester A. Hosinski, in 1922; and Peter Banka, in Jan., 1925 the present pastor.

Three of these are no longer among the living, viz.: Fathers Kurzejka, Pociecha and Borowski.

From the parish records we glean the following items of interest:

The first baby baptized on March 17, 1898, was John McLaughlin.  The first couple to be married was Lucy Omernik and Adalbert Plik, on July 2, 1899.  The first funeral and burial from the new St. Paul’s Church was that of John Pionke, on Jan. 9, 1900.  First communion in June, 1898.  Of this group Enoch Chelewski is the only still living and member of the church here.

In the past fifty years of its existence, St. Paul’s church saw 615 baptisms administered to children of adults; 167 marriages and 199 funerals.